Former Member Traffic, Railway Board
After passing out from St. Columba’s in 1965 and competing post graduation in Mathematics from St. Stephen’s College in 1962,
joined the Indian Railway Traffic Services after selection though Civil Services Competitive Examinations.
During the next over 34 years moved through the hierarchy of Indian Railways to apex post of Member (Traffic) Railway Board and ex officio Secretary to the Government of India in January 1997. Some of the other key position held includes inter alia Divisional Railway Manager, Dhanbad (the heaviest Coal loading Division of Indian Railways), Chief Operation Manager of South Eastern Railways (which contributes to over 40% of total revenues of Indian Railways), and General Manager, Northern Railway.
He contribute to the organisation was recognised and he was decorated with the Ministry of Railways Medal for Distinguished service.
He has authored a large number of very highly researched papers on transportation, logistics and transport planning and participated in national and international conference on these and related issues.
After superannuation, he worked as an international Consultant to ADB for overseeing reforms on Bangladesh Railways besides serving as Independent Director on the Board of some private as well as public sector undertakings. Currently he is Secretary General of IC Centre for Governance a Civil Society organisation, looking at issues of Public Governance through collective dialogue.
Member of Professional Societies
- National Chairman, Chartered Institute of Logistics & Transport, India Chapter
- Founder President, Centre for Transportation Research & Management
- Member, Institute of Rail Transport
- Member, Institute of Public Administration
Member of Committees
- Member National Task Force on infrastructure (set up Govt. of India)
- Member, National Task Force on Information Technology and Software Development (set up by Planning Commission)
- Chairman, Working Group on Inland Water Transport (set up by Ministry of Railways)
- Chairman, Task Force on Resource Mobilization (set up by Ministry of Railways)
- Member, Advisory Committee on Railways (set up by Ministry of Railways)
- Member, Task force on Administrative Structure for Dedicated Freight Corridors for Indian Railways (setup by Planning Commission)
Directorship of Corporate Bodies
- As part-time Director during active service
- Bharat Coking Coal Corporation
- Northern Coalfields
- South-Eastern Coalfields
- Rashtriya Ispat Nigam
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation
- After Retirement
- Tungabhadra Steel Products Ltd.
- National Mineral Development Corporation
- Kalindee Engineering
- Visa Steel Ltd.
Consultancies undertaken after Retirement from Govt. Service
- ADB Consultancy on National Inland Waterways Authority
- Independent Consultant to ADB for Restructuring of Bangladesh Railways
- Worked with a Canadian Consultancy Consortium for Double Stack Container Operation on Indian Railways
- Consultancy on Rationalization of Operation on South-Western and South-Central Railway zones of Indian Railways.
Study Visits to Foreign Countries
- Leader of Delegation of Railway Experts to United States of America on the invitation of Trade Development Authority for Scanning railway equipments relevant for technology up-gradation in August 1999.
- Made country presentation on "Indian Railways-Part, Present and Future') at the European Railway Equipment Manufacturers Conference in June 1996 at Zurich (Switzerland)
- Member, Indian delegation to USA in Nov. 1997
- Attended mc Conference in Paris in Dec. 1996.
- Study tour of Swedish Railways with special focus on restructuring of that Railway at the invitation of Swede rail in the context of fine-turning of restructuring plan of Indian Railways in 1997.
- Study Container Terminals in the Netherlands with a view to designing CONCOR's main ICD at Tughlakabad in 1991.
- Attended Management Development Program at British Rail Transport College (U.K.) in 1989.